I could get used to this weekly post: it’s quick, simple, and allows me to remember the things that really made my week stand out!
1. A haircut! I made quite the spur-of-the-moment decision and got a good 6 inches chopped off! It feels amazing and I really like it!
bathroom mirror picture. sorry, y’all.
2. Spanish. I’ve gotten to practice a lot this week with helping register new ESOL students, and it’s been a learning experience! I’m trying to up my game so I can be an interpreter on a mission trip to Peru this summer!
3. This song. 10,00 Reasons by Matt Redman.
4. Ordering a small green tea soy latte and ending up getting a large!
5. Tonight I’m going to dinner with some dear friends from college and I.can’t.wait!!! When those two are around, a good time is sure to be had.We’re trying a new place in Raleigh, and I’ve already been drooling over the menu debating what to order!
What were your top 5 moments from this week? Link up here!
I’m linking up with Lauren again to share 5 of my favorite things from this week!
1. Chalking local sidewalks for National Literacy Action Week! Super fun.
2. Pomegranate Kitchen. If you live in my area, I highly suggest you give this Persian food a try! It’s amazing and it’s my new favorite comfort food. I didn’t snag a picture of my delicious lunch (black eyed peas + rice + pomegranate stew) because I snarfed it down so quickly.
3. Downton Abbey. Yes, I’ve jumped on the bandwagon with this one after some friends insisted that I watch. I’m currently on episode 6 of season 2 and wow. I like it more than I thought! Do you watch Downton Abbey?
4. Watching/listening to Youngblood Hawke‘s acoustic session/chat yesterday afternoon was a nice break from listening to the usual classical music at work. Also, the newest album from Local Natives, Hummingbird, was released Tuesday so I’ve been listening to that! Both bands are based in LA so of course I’m wishing I were in that area to catch some awesome concerts!
5. Ruzzle! It’s the only game I play on my phone. If you have Ruzzle, I challenge you to a game! 🙂 username: meremere7890
What have been your favorite things from this week?
… I was sitting in an auditorium on Duke University’s campus listening to some amazing live music: Milo Greene & The Civil Wars. I was introduced to some amazing artists and their amazing songs. It was a night to remember.
Our tickets had been purchased months in advance, and my friends and I were so excited to finally see the concert we had been waiting for. After meeting up for coffee, we drove over to Duke and walked to the auditorium. Once inside, we found our seats and tried to maintain our composure. We were just so darn excited and we couldn’t help it! The rest of crowd was antsy, in an overly excited way. People were taking pictures, checking in on Foursquare, and singing songs even before the music began. And when it began… ooh, when it began, I felt the music.
Milo Greene came on stage and rocked our proverbial socks off; their music was phenomenal! Everything about their performance got a 10 star review in my book… from the way they exchanged instruments, their amazing vocals, to the lyrics of their songs. I immediately became a fan.
Then, the Civil Wars sang and danced and strummed their instruments and they put on a wonderful show as well. Oh, it was magical. Their harmonies? Amazing. I was on the verge of tears at one point in the song “C’est la mort” because it was just so strikingly tragic and beautiful. I’m telling you, I’m a sucker for good lyrics, music, and a performance. #singlewhitegirlproblems Read the rest of this entry
All month I’ve been keeping a running list of things I’m thankful for… however small, silly, random they may be. It’s been a good exercise and I think I’m going to keep it up throughout the coming months. That way, whenever I feel I have something to complain about I can just look at all the little things I’m thankful for.
1- For a new picture for the monthly calendar in the office! And the ability/opportunity to participate in webinars and learn all sorts of things as an AmeriCorps member.
2- Thankful for running water, even if it is super cold at work when I wash my hands.
3- Thankful for dogs whom I love dearly, and the fact that dogs know how to get back home! [they ran away. Post on it’s way 😉 ] Also thankful for my married friends whom I love and have so much fun with although I don’t get to see them often!
4- Time change and an “extra” hour of sleep. And caramel macchiatos. Read the rest of this entry
I love introducing people to “new” music. Take for example my posts about Milo Greene, Of Monsters and Men, my Durham Bulls soundtrack, and the random recent favorite tunes post. And you may remember how I simply love live music. It moves me. Despite the fact that I have zero musical talent (besides the fact that I can play a few songs like Fur Elise on the piano, and sing loudly in my car), music captivates me.
Call me a nerd, but I love music. Hardly a moment of my day goes by without something playing in the background of my day-to-day activities. And whether it’s classical (WCPE, what’s up?!), a youtube playlist, trying out new albums & artists on Spotify, or listening to beloved tunes on iTunes, I seem to be surrounded by music for most of the day.
My love of music is ever-growing, too, and that’s something I love. I’m not one of those people tied to any genre or era of music… I’m constantly on the look out for new groups, artists, musicians, tunes to listen to. (So send any suggestions my way!)
Just last week, I discovered yet another group. They fall into the Indie category, which I am learning to enjoy more and more.
Meet : Lucius.
Read the rest of this entry
Adios September, Hola October!
Whew, the month of September FLEW by. Already, fall has made its presence known in the great state of North Carolina, and I couldn’t be happier. I really love fall.
It seems like I didn’t blog much during September. Well, not many memorable posts at least. Here’s what I got for ya, plus lots of cell phone pictures 😉
I blogged about the wreck my family and I were in.
September 11 – Remembering
Three “new” restaurants I’ve discovered in Durham!
a slice from Lilly’s
Read the rest of this entry
Hey guess what?!
((AKA random tidbits about my life currently. AKA most boring post ever.))
– I went to Target yesterday to buy floss. The one time I don’t have it in my purse or at work, is when I need it. Go figure.
– While at Target, I splurged on coffee. AKA I spent about $4 on it. Dang it, Starbucks and your pumpkin flavored drinks.
– My mom finally got a new car since hers was totaled nearly a month ago. Oh, and Padre is still undergoing different tests to find out what happened/if anything is wrong.
– Did you know I’m training for the Color Me Rad 5K that’s a month from today?! Well yeah, I am. And not doing a very good job of training seriously. I’ve been trying to run every other day, but once I get to the point where my breathing is staggered and rough, I stop and take a walking break. Clearly, I don’t want to walk during the race. Any tips on how to train? ((PS. If you want to sign up, do so soon before prices go up!)) Read the rest of this entry
Do you ever discover new music and immediately fall in love? No, not necessarily with the artist(s), but with the sound, the words, the harmony of it all.
About a month ago when the song “Little Talks” played on my Mumford & Sons Pandora, I learned about Of Monsters and Men. The song was catchy and I liked it. Naturally I gave their album, My Head is an Animal, a listen on Spotify, and after the third time through the tracks, I decided I liked it enough to buy it on itunes! Actually, I don’t even think like is an adequate word to express my feelings towards it… I kinda sorta love it. And I thoroughly enjoy listening to Of Monsters and Men. I burned a CD of the album and it’s been playing nonstop in my car,
with the exception of listening to talk radio in the morning on the way to work no lie.
There’s just something about their music…their lyrics. Read the rest of this entry